Check Your Credit Report Now: It Could Save You Money, and More!

 The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently reviewed 1,000 consumer credit reports, finding 25% contained at least one error that could negatively impact your credit score. The report says if you dispute those errors, then you have a one in ten chance of increasing your FICO score.

5% of those who successfully disputed inaccurate information saw a 25-point bump in their score.  That could mean the difference between getting approved for a loan, or it could make a big difference in what interest rate you pay for a loan.  It can also have far reaching implications beyond loans.  Insurance companies and some employers use credit reports and scores when evaluating insurance rates and the employability of a job candidate.

What should you do if you have inaccurate information on your credit report?

First, pull a copy of each of your three credit reports for free at: annualcreditreport.comCredit Report

If you find errors, you can write to one of the credit bureaus at the address provided on your reports, and tell them about the mistake.  The credit bureau will look into it and remove the item if they can prove it is in fact inaccurate.  They will also notify the other two credit bureaus of the error so those agencies can remove the mistake from those reports too. (That means you don’t have to send dispute letters to all three agencies.)

If the credit bureau disagrees with you and says the information is in fact accurate, then that item will stay on your report for up to seven years from the date of last activity.  You can, however, write a note (up to 150 words) that the credit reporting agencies must attach to your credit report, so future lenders, employers, etc, can take your comments into consideration when reviewing your entire report.

Beware of other websites that say they will provide you a free copy of your credit report.  Often times those other sites are misleading at best and down right scams in other cases.  The official, government website to obtain your free credit report once a year is

You can visit your local library and use their computer, or call 1-877-322-8228.  You can also print off an official request form from and mail it to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service

PO Box 105281

Atlanta, GA  30348-5281

The three credit reporting bureaus are Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.  But do not contact them directly; they will just refer you to

If you need assistance reviewing your credit report, or if you need help disputing items, CCCS of Central Oklahoma will be glad to help at no cost to you (if you provide your own copy of your credit report(s)).

If you review your credit report and realize you need to repay some debts in order to improve your credit score, CCCS of Central Oklahoma can help there too.  Simply call us at 405-789-2227, or 800-364-2227 or visit us at for details.

Leave a Reply